Okay… we used to call them resolutions and that got us no freaking where. Around 2012, I called them goals and I don’t know if I was the brainiac who thought it up or what, but it caught on and now people call them New Year Goals and hey… it works for me no matter who thought it up first.
Well, it works when I put in the effort. Same goes for you. I mean, I don’t know you, but if you are a writer, chances are you like the idea of things going as well as they went in Week One of Two of your project. But then all hell breaks loose, the cat knocks your coffee over, the laundry is piled up and you aren’t sure if those are your kids or booger encrusted demons. You’ve got nothing accomplished save a pile of tissues inundated with your own tears instead of the tears of your enemies.
Usually, my goals are: save money, lose ten pounds, build a race car, travel to another dimension, communicate telepathically with my cat…blah blah blah… you know, realistic goals. But one thing always gets in the way: ME.
How I do things:
- make outrageous, unattainable goal.
- fail to reach said goal.
- hate myself and commence drowning in a pool of chocolate, self-loathing and my own damn tears.
This year I do have some goals… mostly REALISTIC ONES but a few ridiculous ones at the end… you know, just in case.
One of my goals is to get published. Yes! Published as in an actual book with actual pages with actual words on them.
So this is how I set my goals THIS YEAR (and the last few years):
- GET PUBLISHED
- write a book
- edit book
- rewrite until a finished, polished work is complete.
- research agents and publishers
- submit queries
- GET IN SHAPE
- Commit to gym 5 days a week
- 30 minutes minimum cardio 7 days a week
- strength training 5 days a week
- eat good foods/drink a lot of water (100 oz daily)
- STAY ORGANIZED
- if it doesn’t have a place it is dead to me.
- throw out all junk mail/mail/inserts/coupons
- magazines: throw out all old issues (or donate somewhere)
- clothes: throw out anything I haven’t worn in a year.
- GET FINANCES STRAIGHT
- Pay down all debt by paying $20 extra a month on payments
- DO NOT use credit cards
- Set up automatic payments on all bills (I am almost at 100% with this)
- Keep separate checking accounts and STOP transferring money!
- READ 100 BOOKS in 2017
- No need for bullet points on this one, really. My goal is to read 100 books this year no matter what. All kinds of books: thriller/suspense (my fave!); memoirs (my other fave!); self-help; horror; romances (not really my thing, but I’ll give it a shot).
- Also, win the lottery, buy a nice cabin in the woods and never have to work a regular job again.
I have faith in myself that I can do all this. The ones in boldface are the ones I really need to stay diligent with. The one in blood red, bold, italic, underline is my MAIN NUMBER ONE GOAL FOR THE F**KING YEAR. If I am not stressed about money and bills, I can focus on other important things.
Have you given any thought to goals for 2017? How do you list your goals?